Tuesday, October 23, 2007

How Do I Follow THAT?!?

I have something of a dilemma.

I have now received back all my assignments for this semester, and although the mark for one was a little disappointing (high Credit), by some miracle of cosmic proportions I have managed to score High Distinctions for the other two.

Now, I know that HD's are every students dream and aspiration - the Everest, as it were, of the academic scale of achievement. And, believe me, it's not that I'm not grateful, it's just that...well, how do I follow a result like this?

Let me put it this way: over the course of a three year degree, one assumes one will gradually acquire more skills and knowledge, and, through the rigour of the academic process, lift one's work from a first year to a third year level of competence. Which means you expect to start with relatively modest scores and gradually build your way up to something more impressive.

I know, I know - there are always the favoured few who through talent and/or dedication, achieve top marks right from the off. But as Bruce Springsteen would say: get it straight now, mister - hey, buddy, that ain't me. I'm not an academic genius. My results are what you would call solid, not spectacular. So where in the heck do I come off achieving not one, but two HD results for my assignments?

Of course, this outcome doesn't mean that my final mark for the semester will be a HD in the two subjects concerned. I still have to get past the exams, and perform in said exams at a sufficient level to sustain the HD rating. And, in an ironic kind of way, that's the dilemma - because I can only go downhill from here!

Have I peaked too soon? Is the universe playing one of its cruel jokes, raising my hopes only to dash them on the rocks of the mediocrity I know are lurking beneath?

I know what you're thinking: I should be grateful and take the mark for what it is. And I do. It's just that...well, it's just that I now run the risk of every assignment I do being an anti-climax at best, a disappointment at worst! And, no, I'm not being paranoid or hypersensitive. I'm just feeling a little bit confronted at present...

It could be worse - I know it could be worse. But, gee, you know: two HDs...

Talk to you soon,

BB.

Quote for the Day: Failure is anyone seen on a bus after the age of thirty. (Nicholas Ray)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

DOn't be ridiculous. You're bloody brilliant - and the sooner you come to terms with the fact that you have and I quote "a brain the size of a small planet" the better. We'll probably end up a 2 Phd family... or a 1 Phd family - but I know who it will be with the Phd!
You're incredibly brilliant, and I'm very very proud of you.
XXX

BB said...

aw shucks...but don't underestimate yourself either, m'dear...

SB said...

Just read the quote of the day on the bottom of this one - I assume the Nicholas Ray isn't my dear friend Nick - but some famous Nicholas Ray from some quote book or other.... my Nick would happily catch a bus or ride his bike anywhere!
Love you
XXX

BB said...

no, my dear, it's not by anyone you know.... ;0)