Monday, January 01, 2007

A New Year Reflection

My buddy Mairmicate recently sent me this post from her blog.

As you can tell, she's quite angry. But she also makes a very good point: if Mary and Joseph arrived in Australia today, how would they be received? As persons seeking a safe haven - or as potential terrorists? Would they be treated with dignity and respect - or would they be treated as criminals who had to demonstrate their innocence before they received any consideration?

I know the issue of asylum seekers is a touchy one with many people, not least because various sections of our society have managed to create the impression that Australia is being "flooded" with refugees. Moreover, in the constant climate of fear that is the "War on Terror", anyone who is an "outsider" is treated with suspicion; as are those who argue for the humane reception and treatment of refugees. The walls have gone up; the "No Vacancies" sign is flashing in big red neon lights; and we are huddling behind our security apparatus, trembling with fear of we know not what.

Reading Mairmicate's post, however, it occurred to me that when Christ uttered the statement: "Whatsoever you do to the least of my brothers, that you do unto me", he wasn't simply making an appeal that we deal with one another with dignity and respect - that appeal was made in the so-called Golden Rule. Rather, I think Christ was telling us in stark terms that God exists in solidarity with humanity; that God incarnate in Christ, who was born in humble circumstances, and who died in utterly appalling circumstances, was not simply a statement of manifestation, but was a radical declaration of unity between the human and the divine in the person of Jesus. God was saying to us: "You do not stand alone - I, also, stand with you." And not just with us, but in us, also.

And it seems to me that a necessary corollary of this declaration is that we must change the way we see other people. And, in this particular instance, when it comes to refugees, we must understand that, imprisoned in every single detention centre is not a potential terrorist, or queue jumper, or even asylum seeker; imprisoned in every one of those centres, behind the barbed wire, is Christ.

I pray that I may have the courage this new year to see Christ in all my fellow humans.

Talk to you soon,

BB

Quote for the Day: When I was a child, it was simpler. You knew who They were, and where They were. Now it's different. We don't know who They are, or where They are, but we know They are out there. (George W Bush)

No comments: