Saturday, April 07, 2007

The Sound of Grace Happening

Given the season (both in terms of the calendar - Autumn, my favourite time of year - and Easter, the most profound and joyous occasion in the Christian year) I thought I'd provide a "top ten" of my favourite examples of sacred music.

  1. Blogoslovi dusche moya (Bless the Lord, O my Soul), the 2nd movement from the All Night Vigil by Rachmaninov
  2. Psalm 23 (The Lord is my Shepherd) by Howard Goodall
  3. Agnus Dei by Samuel Barber
  4. Kherumivskaya pesn (Cherubic Hymn) from the Divine Liturgy of St John Chrysostom, by Rachmaninov
  5. Nyne otpushchayeshi (Lord, Now Let Thou Thy Servant Depart), 5th movement from the All Night Vigil by Rachmaninov
  6. Kyrie from the Requiem by Gabriel Faure
  7. Credo from the Missa Aedis Christi by Howard Goodall
  8. Milost mira (The Eucharistic Prayer) from the Divine Liturgy of St John Chrysostom by Rachmaninov
  9. Pie Jesu from the Requiem by Gabriel Faure
  10. Salvator Mundi by Thomas Tallis

Near misses and honourable mentions include: Miserere by Allegri; In Paradisum from Faure's Requiem; Svete tikhyi (Gladsom Light) from Rachmaninov's All Night Vigil; and Song for Athene, The Dormition of the Mother of God, and Elizabeth Full of Grace by John Taverner.

Talk to you soon,

BB

Quote for the Day: The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not mov'd with concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, stratagems and spoils; the motions of his spirit are dull as night, and his affections dark as Erebus: let no such man be trusted. (William Shakespeare)

1 comment:

Caro said...

An interesting thought... You inspired me to put together my own list, but I'm struggling to define a 'Top 10'
(I could probably go for a 'Top 10 Masses', without thinking about any other kinds of works, and certainly the Mass for Double Choir by Frank Martin would have to be pretty close to the top!)