Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Return of the Bogun

I’m an outer suburbs kind of guy.

To be sure, the inner city has much to recommend it: great cafes and restaurants, brilliant coffee palaces, and interesting little taverns and gin joints. But in one vital area, it is critically deficient: junk food.

Nor am I talking about the big chain operations. Rather, I am referring to those poky little shopfront places with names like Greasy Chips Galore, or Joe's Deep Fried Chicken. Suburban, mum-and-dad joints that are open late at night on a Sunday, and who make no pretension to class or style.

No kidding, my mouth is watering even as I type. I can just taste the succulent chicken flesh, moist and melting in the mouth, the savoury barbeque seasoning on the crispy golden-brown skin a tangy, flavoursome paradise. And the chips! I’m not talking about a miserable scattering of stringy, wilted stalks here, folks, but a veritable forest of crunchy, deep-fried potato delights.

And let’s face it, there’s a certain amount of tedium associated with fine dining. To begin with, there’s the dressing up. I don’t care what anyone says, squeezing yourself into a suit and tie just so you can appear sophisticated is not my idea of a good night out. Maybe there are people who enjoy looking like asphyxiated penguins or mobile lemon meringues, but I’m sure they’re safely locked away where they can’t do any harm to themselves or society. By contrast, at the local junk food emporium, they don’t give a toss what you look like – so long as you’re actually dressed. The point is not to be seen and admired, it’s to enjoy the food.

Which brings me to my next point: what could be crueler than to be in some la-de-da restaurant, watching with gleeful anticipation as the waiter staggers toward you bearing a plate the size of Tasmania, only to discover the serving has the dimensions of a malnourished pea! With what despair do you remember the exciting description of said morsel in the menu, trying to reconcile the apparent abundance with the impoverished reality. And that’s the main course! Never mind false advertising, I reckon these sadistic sods ought to have the book thrown at them. Something weighty, for mind - like the collected works of Karl Marx. At least I know my local chicken bar will make up in portion size whatever it may lack in nutritional value – a fair and reasonable compromise, in my view!

Finally, there’s the service. Don’t you just hate it when you get some snooty waiter who spends the whole meal reminding you that you’re in their restaurant, and they’re consequently doing you a great favour merely acknowledging your presence, never mind actually serving you? Don’t get me wrong: I hate the uppity types who pay out on the waiting staff just because they are the waiting staff. But nothing annoys the bejeezers out of me more than when you get some snide git who’s bitter because he’ll never make maitre d’, and who has decided to vent his frustrations on the clientele. Sure, maybe at the local cholesterol 'n' chips joint you don’t exactly get service with a smile and a song, but, hell, I ain’t there for the conversation, either. I’ll take indifference over a lousy attitude, any day.

No, you can call me a gastronomic philistine if you like; to me, this food heaven. Cuisine nouvelle and all the rest of that pretentious guff can go on being elegant and refined; I’d much prefer to enjoy my food.

Besides, as my inner Homer would say: mmmmmm, chicken…

Talk to you soon,

BB.

Quote for the Day: Restaurants are just brothels for the mouth. (Frederic Raphael)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear BB,
I find this post deeply disturbing and not a little concerning. I could hear your arteries hardening as I read it!!

A little less junkfood is not a bad thing for either of us my dearest BB!
SB XXXXXXX

Anonymous said...

If a person from the inner city visits the suburbs just for the great junk food, could they be called a "FAUX-gan"? Please advise.

BB said...

SB:

Sheesh, you get engaged to someone, and all of a sudden they think they can start telling you what to do...hmm, I wonder whatever happened to "obey" in the marriage vows...

BB

BB said...

M:

Thanks for your comment...very clever! I like it - and I think it fits, especially since inner city types would be more likely to use the word "faux"....

BB

Caro said...

I guess it all depends on your definition of 'inner city' as opposed to the 'burbs'. One thing I have noticed in Melbourne as opposed to Hobart is that there seem to be much fewer corner shop/greasy spoon type places here in Melb (even in the burbs) than in Hobart. Every suburb would have at least a dozen such places, and you had quite a lot of choice about the methodology for hardening your arteries.
(although having said that, BB do take note of the Intersection Cafe on the corner of Lygon and Elgin Sts... very greasy spoon, and apparently open late for the uni student "need grease to mop up the alcohol" trade. ;-)

BB said...

Caro:

Thanks for your comment.

There are certainly fewer corner shops in Melbourne these days, thanks to the community destroying policies of our neo-liberal governments (of both political stripes). And a real shame it is, too...

As for the greasy spoons, oh, they're out there, you just have to know where! Some of my faves are:

1. Hoppers Crossing fish n chip shop
2. Mt Waverley Chicken Bar
3. Moonee Ponds BBQ Chickens
4. Paradise fish n chips (my new local)
5. Werribee Chick Inn (such a subtle name)
6. Elwood fish n chip shop (before it went all trendy)
7. Burger joint on Hoddle Street (name unknown) - just fantastic!
8. Sayers Chicken
9. Sayers Fish n Chips (next door to aforementioned chicken joint)
10. Chicken A Go Go (my one exception to the "no chain places" rule)

Thanks for the greasy spoon tip, too!

BB