Sunday, August 06, 2006

The Sound of Stupid

I have a confession to make: I hate Christian rock.

Now, don’t get me wrong. I appreciate that music, like art and literature, is a highly subjective experience, and we all have our individual cups of tea. Some like Cubism, others prefer the Old Masters. Some people read German Romantics, others adore science fiction. You get the picture.

When it comes to “worship music”, I guess I’m something more of a traditionalist. Gregorian chant is great. Rachmaninov’s All Night Vespers is sublimely beautiful. Barber’s Agnus Dei moves me to the depths of my being. And Howard Goodall’s setting of Psalm 23 (used, incidentally, as the theme music for the wonderful British comedy series, The Vicar of Dibley) is too lovely for words.

Yet, before you begin thinking I’m some dreary stuffed shirt with no sensibility for the modern, let me state quite categorically that I am very fond of Mr Mister’s song Kyrie (yeah, okay, that was back in the 80’s, I’m just making the point that I don’t have some “in principle” objection to combining rock music with religion). It’s just that my qualm is that while Christian rock might be “worship music”, there’s not much of it that’s actually sacred.

Now, I know that the appeal of much Christian rock is that it is “fun”, and introduces people to the “joy” of faith. Yet, I can never shake the suspicion that this apparent “joy” is not so much elevation as “ecstasy” – that is, a superficial, temporary mood alteration that has little to do with the experience of faith and everything to do with tinkering with our emotions.

The proof of the pudding for me is to be found in the lyrics. Have you ever noticed how lame the words to most Christian rock songs are? Sure, the music might be toe-tappingly good (hey, I’m not saying it’s all bad) but the words sound as though they were composed by some gawky adolescent writing an anonymous love letter to some girl he secretly admires. I mean, please! Where's the mystery? Where's the sense of the inscrutible, the divine, that which is greater than the sum of who we are, and to which we aspire?

Take, by contrast, any of the pieces I cited above: not only are they profoundly moving, they instill a real sense of joy – solemnity and elevation all at once, and in depth, too. Not that I’m a fan of many of the hoary old hymns that one is often obliged to sing at church. It’s just that I think there is a real difference between “worship music” and “sacred music”. And it’s a qualitative, not merely functional, difference.

So call me old fashioned if you will, I can take it. Sergei and I are off to have a conversation with the divine.

Talk to you soon,

BB

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey BB, I am liking you more and more (except for the stuff about your weird dreams, that is).

Your diatribe on music has prompted me to also get onto the same soapbox in my own blog, so feel free to check that out.

On another note, since you are a fan of Sergei, you should be aware that the Melb Chorale will be performing his Vespers on Sun 5th Nov at Hamer Hall. I can get you concession tickets, as I will be singing in the concert! :-)

Anonymous said...

Hi Brendan,

Very inspiring blog comment today- it's always exciting to read something articulate and intellecutal about the christian faith.
Sandy is always reading me your romantic blogs as well. Seems like you are both so lucky to have one another!
Have a great day,

Stephanie from Carey

BB said...

Caro:

I was so impressed with you blog post on the same subject that I've included a link to your blog on the front page of my blogsite. Great stuff, and I recommend anyone who reads this to go immerse themselves in your timely words.

Thanks for your comment,

BB

BB said...

Steph:

Thanks for your kind words! Hopefully I sound more intelligent than I actually am! ;0)

Seriously, though, I truly believe that if we can't articulate Christianity intelligently (or, at least try to do so to the best of our ability)then I'm not sure we should be calling ourselves Christians. It's not about whether or not anyone agrees with this or that theological proposition; it's whether we want to do justice to ourselves, to one another, to our humanity, and to our understanding of God.

Thanks for your comment,

BB